What’s with Seattle’s FREEZING Cold Temperatures and SNOW in November? La Niña, Spanish for “the Girl” is behind Seattle’s out of the ordinary weather conditions.
La Niña is an ocean-atmosphere phenomenon that is the counterpart of El Niño, meaning “the boy,” and part of the overall El Niño-Southern Oscillation climate pattern.
Scientists aren’t exactly sure what causes the back and forth dance between La Niña and El Niño, only that it repeats every 3-7 years, but rarely in the same way.
During a period of La Niña, the sea surface temperatures across the equatorial Eastern Central Pacific Ocean are lower than normal by 3 to 5 degrees. Changes in ocean temperatures lead to changes in air circulation, which can affect weather thousands of miles away.
High-pressure systems often form off the coast of Alaska, directing the jet stream north and funneling cold air from Canada into Washington, hence the reason why rain turned to snow in the Seattle area this week.
For the Pacific Northwest, La Niña tends to bring cooler and wetter than normal weather conditions for winter and the odds of bringing cold and wet together at the same time are much higher. The coldest temperatures usually happen around January.
The pattern is reversed during an El Niño, when water along the equator is warmer than usual and where the latter corresponds instead to a higher sea surface temperature. El Niño is famous due to its potentially catastrophic impact on the weather along both the Chilean and Australian coasts. La Niña is often preceded by a strong El Niño.
Right now, the eastern Pacific is about 3.6 degrees cooler than normal. “That’s pretty strong,” said state climatologist Nick Bond. “It’s a solid bet that there’s going to be a La Niña through the winter.
So far, Snowvember has been somewhat of a nightmare for commuters and businesses across the Puget Sound region. According to Dan Coon, a Washington State Patrol spokesman, troopers have responded to 1,557 collisions statewide since Monday.
I’m not sure if it’s a record, but it’s a whole heck of a lot of ‘em,” said Coon. If drivers don’t want to be among the collusion statistics, they should slow it down in this type of weather recommends Coon.
Officials at National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) encourage both homeowners and business owners to start preparing for the winter season.
Seattle Area Real Estate Property Specialists
VerraTerra is not your ordinary Seattle area real estate Brokerage. Unlike most real estate companies that force you to do things one way or their way, we believe you should have choices to pick and choose what best fits your individual needs. We are always looking for ways to make buying and selling Seattle area real estate more efficient AND less costly for our clients, without sacrificing quality or service.
We specialize in Seattle area real estate including:
- Seattle Real Estate – Seattle waterfront homes, Seattle, luxury homes, Seattle single-family homes, Seattle townhomes and Seattle condominiums
- Bellevue Real Estate - Bellevue waterfront homes, Bellevue luxury homes, Bellevue single-family homes, Bellevue townhomes and Bellevue condominiums
- Bothell Real Estate - Bothell waterfront homes, Bothell luxury homes, Bothell single-family homes, Bothell townhomes and Bothell condominiums
- Kirkland Real Estate Kirkland waterfront homes, Kirkland luxury homes, Kirkland single-family homes, Kirkland townhomes and Kirkland condominiums
- Redmond Real Estate - Redmond waterfront homes, Redmond luxury homes, Redmond single-family homes, Redmond townhomes and Redmond condominiums
- Mukilteo Real Estate - Mukilteo waterfront homes, Mukilteo luxury homes, Mukilteo single-family homes, Mukilteo townhomes and Mukilteo condominiums
- Seattle Area Homes for Sale in all surrounding cities
VerraTerra provides real estate services in the Seattle area for buyers and sellers. If you’re looking to buy Seattle area real estate or sell your home in the Seattle area, we will be happy to take care of your real estate needs. If you currently own investment property in the Seattle area and need property management services, VerraTerra Property Management can take care of tenant placement and monthly management for you.
Our mission is to provide outstanding customer service to all of our clients while utilizing the best practices and systems available! For more information about VerraTerra real estate services and how we can best serve you, please fill out the online contact form below or give us call at 425.223.4828.
The Seattle Times